The Naev development team is proud to announce the release of Naev 0.5.3. This release fixes several bugs and introduces a few minor features. We aim for this to be the final release in the 0.5.x series, with 0.6.0 following in the not-so-distant future and bringing significant changes to ship equipping.
Perhaps most importantly, we’ve introduced a non-gameplay feature, portable mode. On launch, Naev will now look for a file named
datapath.lua in the same directory as the Naev binary. The Windows installer provides this as an option, making it easy to install and run Naev from removable media.
Note that if you want to use portable mode with your existing saves, you’ll need to migrate your files manually. For Windows users, this means moving
naev-data\ within the directory Naev is installed to.
Changes since 0.5.2:
- Portable mode, allowing for Naev’s user data files (saves, screenshots, etc.) to be placed in arbitrary locations.
- Afterburners now gradually overheat and have no fixed duration.
- Active cooldown allows for rapid ship cooling.
- Many typo fixes in missions and lore.
- Fixed several rare crashes.