Our last release was 0.5.3, way back in April 2012. Two years, ten months and some 1400 commits later, we’ve finally prepared another release.
We are proud to announce the 0.6.0-beta1 release today, and with any luck the final 0.6.0 stable version will be released before March.
A full changelog will accompany the stable release, but a few of the highlights include:
- Core slots system
- Naev’s data is now stored in a zip file, making contributing easier than ever
- Greatly expanded galaxy, including a new faction, Za’lek
- Activated outfits get hotkeys by default
- Fuel is now provided for free at spaceports
- Improved keyboard-and-mouse gameplay, with an optional WASD layout
- Auto-braking (Ctrl-S by default) in lieu of a dedicated Active Cooldown key
Additionally there’s a slew of minor improvements, tweaks, new missions and the like for your enjoyment. As this is a beta release, we’re hoping to iron out any remaining issues, particularly with missions and other scripted content. If you run into any issues while playing, please report bugs and issues at our issue tracker or drop by our IRC channel.
Right now, we have builds available for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux, both 32-bit and 64-bit.
Lastly, one small note for those compiling from source: While Naev nominally supports SDL 2, several important things don’t function properly, like modifier keys and the mouse wheel, and error logging on Windows. We’re aiming to sort this out before 0.6.0 stable, but we advise players to stick with SDL 1.2 for the time being.